Wednesday, July 11, 2012

emergent literacy

In Bell and Jarvis's article, "Letting go of Letter of the Week", the instructors discussed alternative ways to introduce letters. It is important to not only present the letters and their sounds to early readers, but also make authentic connections. The idea described was to use brand labels to show children that they have reading skills they didn't even know about!

 The instructor, Donna Bell, describes how she asked her kindergarten students if they knew how to read. No one raised their hand. She then presented words that they had been exposed to in everyday like such as McDonald's, M&Ms, and Wendy's.

What a brilliant idea! 

This is a great way to..
a. show students that they can read! 
b. connect prior knowledge with new information
c. build confidence in their skills as learners 
d. MANY more! 


I began thinking about all the brands I knew that I could use in the class. I could only come up with a few & none of them covered the more awkward letters such as Q, Z, and X. Thanks to the almighty Pintrest, I found this great resource of brands for each letter! 


Some of these brands may need replacing since I don't know many kindergarteners who are aware of Unicef. But, for the most part- YAY! 


2 comments:

  1. Love this idea for a classroom, I think students would enjoy that very much because many are a part of their daily lives and they can relate to it well! Also love that you got it from pinterest! I get a lot of ideas for school and classroom items from there. Great resource for DIY as teachers and to make things for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! I really need to get on this Pintrest fad! I keep seeing great ideas on everyone's blogs and they all come from there! I also really liked the idea of relating common words and brands to reading that most kids will already recognize before they learn to actually read. This is a great way for children to learn letter sounds and begin recognizing words. I think this is a great way to build confidence in early readers!

    ReplyDelete