Tuesday, July 24, 2012

fluency activity- choral reading


Choral Reading is one way to promote fluency through reading aloud in groups. 
      "Choral reading is reading aloud in unison with a whole class or group of students. Choral reading helps build students' fluency, self-confidence, and motivation. Because students are reading aloud together, students who may ordinarily feel self-conscious or nervous about reading aloud have built-in support."
One way we would like to implement this in the classroom is through short, daily choral reading. We would like to use choral reading throught the use of song lyrics. This activity would be done once a day before they leave school for the day. We would a six week grading period with a popular and appropirate song. Each child will be given a copy of the lyrics to read along with the class. On the first Friday of the six weeks the class will be split into five groups. Each group will be instructed to write their own song about a topic given by the teacher to the beat of the popular song that was used that week. After doing so, each of the following 5 weeks, one of the groups songs will be used as the daily fluency activity. 

An example to start with might be a popular Justin Beiber song like the one below. 

Baby, baby, baby, oh
Like baby, baby, baby, no
Like baby, baby, baby, oh
I thought you'd always be mine, mine

For you, I would have done whatever
And I just can't believe we're here together
And I wanna play it cool, but I'm losin' you
I'll buy you anything, I'll buy you any ring

And I'm in pieces, baby fix me
And just shake me 'til you wake me from this bad dream
I'm goin' down, down, down, down
And I just can't believe my first love won't be around

No comments:

Post a Comment